Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 94: Survival Strategies.....The MONTHLY!

Ok, ladies....I have recently become very open and honest on this blog (VERY open and honest)....and I figured we might as well continue with this trend.

I want to know how you incorporate healthy living into your monthly cycle.

For me, it seems like I start getting really, really hungry all the time....for junk food about a week before my period starts. And I continue craving this food all the way through the period. During this time I can eat and eat and never feel satisfied. It seems like that's an awfully long time to be eating so much unhealthy food.

And during the period I usually get moderately painful cramps. Cramps that make me tired and take away any desire to exercise at all.

So basically, if I catch myself on a month when I'm not disciplined (like this month), I'm eating whatever the crap I want to shove into my mouth for 2 weeks straight and not exercising for at least 4 days or so.

That just can't continue if I want to lose weight.

I'm sure that these symptoms are real. I know taht a lot of women deal with PMS and other symptoms leading up to and during their periods. But I think sometimes I like to cling to that excuse as a crutch to eat whatever I want and to do whatever I want.

I've always joked that there are a lot of women who use PMS as an excuse to be cranky to whomever they please. But now I realize that I'm the pot and they're the kettle.....I use PMS as an excuse to eat.

Nobody ever said you have to give in to every craving that enters your brain. I'm not going to die if I don't allow myself to have that King Size Snickers bar that's calling my name in the grocery checkout.

I know from personal experience that exercising and being active helps to minimize or alleviate menstrual cramps....so why can't I make myself do it?

Does anybody else have any ways they conquer their "monthly"?

No comments:

Post a Comment