Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 104: Champion Chow - Watermelon

It's a good thing I was stricken with a bout of insomnia tonight because I completely forgot about my blog today! Woops!

I've been on a bit of a watermelon kick lately. I love the taste and the refreshment a juicy slice brings, but even more so, I think I love the feelings watermelon provides.

It reminds me of summertime. Especially summertime as a child. Where sitting on the front porch and having a slice of watermelon was the perfect way to cool down on a hot day.

Watermelon brings happiness.

Who doesn't love watermelon? The texture, the pretty pink and green, the sweet juicy flavor....I challenge you to find five people who don't like it.

Did you know that one wedge of watermelon (approximately 1/16 of the entire thing) contains only 86 calories and 0.4 grams of fat? It makes a very nutritional breakfast or mid-day pick-me-up.

In addition to its low calorie and fat content, though, watermelon also contains some powerful benefits.

  • 1 cup of watermelon contains about 25% of your total daily Vitamin C need, along with strong portions of Vitamins A, B6, B1, Potassium and Magnesium.
  • Watermelon contains several powerful antioxidants that help prevent illness and keep you healthy.
  • Watermelon is a great source of lycopene, a particularly notable cancer-fighting agent.
  • Studies have shown that eating 3 or more servings of fruit a day can help to reduce your risk for macular degeneration.

One word of caution, though....some people, like my father, have allergies when it comes to various types of melon. When my dad eats melon often times his throat will swell and he coughs and hacks and can't breathe. We think this is due more to the pesticides used on the fruits than the actual melon itself. Perhaps trying an organic melon would help with these symptoms. We have to try that experiment sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment