Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 9: The Organic Debate

"Organic" seems to be a buzz word lately. I know a lot of people who put a lot of effort into eating organic, all-natural products. From produce, to meats, to peanut butter and milk, a lot of kitchen staples are available in organic varieties. I wonder if it's all worth it.

I try to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. I know that a real banana is healthier than a bag of banana chips, for example. But I'm just not entirely convinced yet that spending the extra money for "organic" bananas is worth the dent in my bank account.

I think it's important to try to buy local foods whenever possible. I think I will do more of my shopping at the farmer's market and the street side produce stands this year.

But I'm not ready or willing to spend the extra money on organic foods at the grocery store, or to give up some of the processed foods I love.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough sunlight in my back yard to grow a garden, but I think I may buy one of those indoor lights and grow a few vegetables to save a little money.

What do you think about the organic issue? Is it worth the expense? Does "organic" really mean anything to you?

1 comment:

  1. I don't get all freaked out about the organic fad. That's my opinion......you know what they say about opinions don't ya?!? They're like butt holes...everybody has one, but everybody else's stinks!! Should probably post this as anonymous!!

    ReplyDelete