Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 16: She Keeps Going....and Going.....and Going.........

Walking is a new favorite hobby of mine. I have grown to love strapping on my sneakers and heading out for a long walk. Sometimes I get bored with the same old scenery, though, so I try to change up my walking locations frequently.

My favorite new technique while I'm walking is to set the timer on my phone for whatever amount of time I would consider the midpoint of my workout. For example, if I want to walk for an hour, I'll set my timer for 30 minutes. Then I'll just take off and keep walking until the timer tells me it's time to turn around. Then I'll just turn around and head back toward my starting point.

I like doing it this way because it allows me the opportunity to explore new paths I haven't seen before. I get bored going up and down the same streets day after day, and so if I can just set my timer and keep walking in the same direction until it beeps at me, then I'm bound to see something new.

On Tuesday I set my timer and headed down a road near my house. It was neat looking at all of the houses around there and passing a few other walkers and joggers. I ended up going about 3 miles in 58 minutes, which is pretty slow, but it was a very hilly area.

Yesterday I went for a long walk in the country by my parents' house. It was so relaxing and a really good workout. I didn't have my pedometer with me, but according to my sister, I managed to do about 4 miles in 65 minutes, which is a definite improvement over my time from the day before, but this was mostly flat terrain. But that's not bad at all, considering I really wasn't pushing myself very much. I felt like I was on the yellow brick road or something, though, because it was nothing but open field surrounding me and I was simply following the road wherever it might take me. I did almost get chased by a dog, but I'll save that story for another day.

I know there are some really good walking paths at a couple of parks here in Decatur. I'd love to try them out sometime if I can ever get someone to go with me. I'm a little chicken about walking in those places by myself because creatures or people could be lurking behind the trees, just waiting to jump out and get me.

I really need to get a good pedometer (I'm frustrated that I still haven't done it yet!) because I want to track how far I'm getting and see my progress over time. I think it would be great to look at the distance I've traveled over the last month or so, and see a measurable amount of miles I've walked. Maybe I'll pick one up this weekend.

Do you enjoy walking? What's your favorite type of exercise? Do you prefer working out alone or with a buddy?

My mom and I are going to start a teensy weensy bit of jogging in the next two weeks, so be prepared for a report on that! Next week we take our walking schedule from a 30 minute, moderate-paced walk to a 45 minute, fast walk. I feel good about this! I'm up to the challenge, but I know it's going to be difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Me and Jon are walk/jogging right now. My endurance is like 0! I'm terrible. I am using the nike pedometer that you hook onto your shoe and jon is using the nike watch pedometer and it's really cool. it has GPS, it tells you when you've done a mile, and it has a program that slowly gets you jogging up to 30 minutes.
    anyway, i LOVE walking, but i'm trying to build some endurance by jogging too. i tend to do better when me and jon work out together. it keeps me motivated for some reason.
    i love you :)

    ReplyDelete