Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 11: Avoiding Restaurant Relapse

I love eating out. There's something gratifying about choosing anything you want from a menu and magically having someone set it in front of you. It tastes so good, and it's so easy to relax and enjoy your food and the company you're with.

When I've tried to follow a healthier diet in the past I've always fallen into what I call "Restaurant Relapse." I eat healthy all week, but then I go to a restaurant and order whatever I want to. I think I get caught up in the moment. I'm having fun with friends or family, enjoying good conversation. All the mixtures of food smell so good in the restaurant. And that picture on the menu of the triple cheeseburger with fries looks so much better than the grilled chicken with steamed vegetables. And so I give in to the temptations surrounding me and I order the unhealthier option, rather than staying true to my goals.

We're going out to eat tonight with my grandpa, and I'm wondering how I'm going to do. Nobody has decided at this point where we're going to eat, so I can't plan ahead. I have saved up all of my Extra Points for this week, so I am going to allow myself to splurge a little bit. I just want to avoid getting out of hand and having a calorie bonanza.

I've heard a few different techniques to help conquer Restaurant Relapse:
  1. To-GO: Order your food and ask for a To-Go box as soon as you get your plate, then immediately scoop half of your food into the box and take it home for later.
  2. Drink Water: A full glass of water just before going to the restaurant will help curb those impulse choices you make when you feel hungrier than you really are.
  3. Eat a light snack: Before heading out to the restaurant, have some veggies and dip for the same reason as the aforementioned glass of water.
  4. Avoid Filler Foods: Avoid eating items restaurants set out on the tables like bread or chips and salsa. These are just fillers that most people eat simply because it's sitting in front of them.
  5. Plan your meal ahead of time. If you know where you're going to eat, do your research. Look at the restaurant's website to see what they have on their menu. If possible, seek out the nutritional content of the food you're planning to eat as well. If you go to the restaurant with your meal already selected, you don't even have to look at the menu and deal with temptation to make a poorer choice.
I admit I usually don't go through this entire routine every time I eat out. But I typically do try to do one or two of these items, and it helps me to stave off the temptation to order the Deep-Fried Grease Platter when I hit the restaurant.

Eating out is a part of normal life, and we have to learn to incorporate our healthy eating habits into dining at a restaurant. You can't just give up everything you're striving for just because someone else is preparing the food for you.

Does anyone else have some survival strategies for restaurant eating? What about some specific healthy meal options from restaurants?

2 comments:

  1. Just remember that tomorrow you will be writing and telling us about how you did. You will feel much better to report how well you did and not how you gave in and ate things you shouldn't have or ate too much. It's too close to Monday to blow it - stay on track and committed to your goal. If there is something that you feel you just have to have and can't resist, get someone else to order it and you just take a bite. ONE BITE!! You'll do ok - just being aware of making better choices is a start. Enjoy the people and don't dwell on the food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big mistake whlle on WW: WEigh-in was on Tuesday morning and Tuesday evening was always mine and Grandpa's night out to eat. So with my weigh-in behind me and a full week ahead - I always splurged and probably gained in a day what I had taken off in a week. Very bad habit. Good luck to you, Honey. I know you'll do better than that!

    Love ya, G'ma

    ReplyDelete