Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 7: Champion Chow

I've been doing the Weight Watchers plan for almost a full week now, and I've started to notice a couple of trends: 1.) I have a major starvation episode around mid-afternoon. Around 3:00 every day I start to feel like my stomach is a vast expanse within my body that is screaming for nourishment before I die. And 2.) After dinner, I crave something sweet.

Here are a couple of great foods that I've found to answer those problems:

The Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wheels

These little cheese wedges are incredible. They taste divine, and the texture is so creamy. They're delicious on crackers, vegetables, or even in recipes like THIS ONE. They come in 3 flavors right now: Creamy Swiss, Garlic & Herb (a personal favorite), and French Onion. This summer there will be 3 new flavors in the line as well: Blue Cheese; Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil; and Queso Fresco & Chipotle. Each wedge only has 35 calories and 2 grams of Fat, which makes them a 1 Point food! You can find them in any grocery store. At Kroger they're with the cream cheeses, I believe. At Wal-Mart they're near the Deli counter. They make for a filling and savory afternoon snack.


Sweet Treats

I have a major sweet tooth. Every night after dinner I crave something sweet to cleanse my palate. It doesn't matter how full I feel, I still want something sweet. These little gems do the trick without a lot of damage. Tootsie Pops and Blow pops may not be as nutritious as, say, 10 medium baby carrots, but they are still a guilt-free solution to sugar-cravers like me. They only have 1 point each, so they're a perfect way to cap off the evening. And who knew Tootsie Pops came in flavors like banana and lemon-lime?

And if you're craving that savory, intense chocolate rush, I would highly recommend the Hershey's Sugar-free miniatures. They're also only 1 point a piece and they satisfy the screaming chocolate fiend within so that you can enjoy the rest of your evening without feeling bloated and guilty for eating an entire gallon of ice cream with hot fudge. No, you don't want to fill up on these non-healthy foods several times a day, but I am learning that allowing myself one little treat every day helps me to stay on track without feeling overwhelmed by denying myself everything I love to eat.

Those are my Champion Chows for the day....do you have any guilt-free foods that help you stay on track?

6 comments:

  1. I love those light cheese wheels, but I didn't realize they made them in low fat (or perhaps they're all low fat?). I'll definitely have to get some of those from the store. Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that if I eat an egg for breakfast around 9:00, I am more satisfied through the day and not as hungry. I guess it is the idea of low carb and leveling out the blood sugars so they aren't such a roller-coaster of highs and lows. Hope you are having a good day today! Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured it out - I (believe that) didn't do it right!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Laughing Cow cheese wedges! They are one of my favorite things. I like to spread them on crackers, or in wheat tortillas with grilled turkey sausage on top. Yummy.

    For my sweet tooth I recently discovered Mousse Temptations from Jello. They are so tasty! You can't even tell they are 60 calories and sugar free. You should try them!

    Keep up the good work! :D

    (Btw, this is Keeks.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday on TV, I saw a recipe using these wedges. Spread a wedge (1pt)on a bread round (1pt) and then top with veggies that you like - tomato, lettuce, spinach, onion, cucumber, peppers...... Nice little sandwich for only 2 pts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are MFEO. It's Diane. I have no idea how to be anything but anonymous. I love laughing cow on melba (whole wheat is very low in points) and I have a tootsie pop Every Single Night. My midafternoon snack (when I am really counting points) is low sugar instant oatmeal. Fills me up, and it is sweet. Gooood luck. I am on the bandwagon with you!

    ReplyDelete