Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 26: White Chili

I used to have a membership at Curves gym. I never really benefitted from their workout program, though, because it's way too low-impact for a young person who needs to lose a considerable amount of weight. One thing I did gain, though, was I was able to attend a weight loss class there led by an instructor. I learned a lot of information about foods and I picked up the habit of journaling my foods and exercise each day. I have found that when I journal my foods I'm much more accountable to myself and more successful with my eating.

As a part of the weight loss class I was given a Curves guidebook that had our food journaling pages in it, as well as some eating plans and a comprehensive view of their Curves diet. I'm not doing that plan anymore, but I still consult the book regularly because it has a few delicious recipes.

This white chili is a great treat, and I wanted to make sure to share it before the weather got too warm out. It is so flavorful and just a little spicy. And it's savory and fulfilling. You won't be hungry after you eat it. I hate beans, so I leave them out and add a little more chicken, but you can change it up however you want.

Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
4 oz. chopped green chiles, drained
1 tsp. powdered cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth
2/3 c. cooked white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
8 oz. cooked chicken breast, cubed (about 2 cups)
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a soup pot until tender. Add Jalapeno, chiles, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt, and saute another minute. Stir in chicken broth, beans, and chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in cilantro and cheese and serve.

Makes 3 (1 1/3 cup) servings.

Per Serving: Calories: 300, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Protein: 25g, Carbohydrates: 19g, Fiber: 4g, Cholesterol: 13mg, Sodium: 647mg

Points Value: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment