Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 12: Oy!


Well, my dinner last night went fine. I planned ahead, added up my points in advance, and knew exactly what I was going to order before I got to the restaurant. I ordered the Baked Chicken Pesto, which isn't as healthy as it sounds because it comes with pasta and alfredo sauce. However, I did order wheat noodles, and as soon as my dish came, I immediately divided it in half, knowing I was going to save the other portion for another meal. Even though I only ate half of my dinner, I still felt pretty full afterwards, though. I probably would have been satisfied, but not full, if I had eaten about a third of the food. Still, I felt okay with the choice I made, and glad that I didn't completely blow it.
And then this morning came. Adam was in town so we decided we would go to Cracker Barrel for a late breakfast/lunch. I looked around at the Points Values of several of their breakfast entrees and they were all ridiculously high. So then I determined that I would get something from the lunch menu. My mistake was that rather than deciding ahead of time what I wanted to get, I figured I would just look at the menu and use my iPhone application to figure up the points for what I wanted to order.
The fried shrimp was calling my name and I answered. I didn't go over my points allotment for the day, but I did spend more points on that meal than I should have. I think I let myself use more points because I knew I hadn't eaten breakfast, so I was figuring I could use the points values I would normally use for two meals. So I ate my food, saved the rest for later, and went on my merry way.
A few hours later, my mom and I were on our way back from Springfield and that shrimp started screaming again...only this time it wasn't a happy situation. My stomach has been upset for a few hours now, and I'm really paying the price for going overboard.
Like I said, I still haven't gone over my points for the day, and I still have several of my Flex points left, as well as all of my Activity Points for the week, but I think that eating two really heavy meals back to back took its toll on me. I need to learn to spread my big meals out a little. For example, if I eat a big dinner one night, maybe I should try to eat fairly light the next day.
I'm figuring out that even if I stay within my points, it's still possible to make poorer choices about what I'm putting into my body. I just have to get a handle on portion control and getting into the habit of eating healthier more often, and making those splurges the exception rather than the rule.
And now I'm left with figuring out how to plan a dinner with side dishes and hopefully a little treat later using the 7 points I have left for the day. Actually, I do have those extra points if I want to use them, and I might, but I don't want to use them just because they're there.
Kind of a disappointing day overall, but I'll chalk it up to learning new things and adjusting to a new way of life. I can't let that discourage me from aiming for my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment