Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 10: How's That Working Out For Ya?


Exactly one week ago I posted a blog with a few challenges for myself and some of my readers to follow. If you want a refresher, read it HERE.

My mom and I decided to do the Walk to Jog Challenge....and we're scared! In just two short weeks we'll be bringing jogging into the picture little by little and we're just not sure we're up to the challenge. But we're going to try out hardest, and we're going to stick with it, even if it takes us a little longer than 12 weeks to get to the point where we can jog for 20 minutes straight. Yikes!

As far as the other challenges, I have been doing great with my Great Outdoors Challenge. I have absolutely loved being outside in this beautiful weather.

The 30 Minutes and More Challenge is going well so far, too. Next week I'll need to increase my workout time to 35 minutes, but I've already exercised 3 times this week for over 30 minutes, so it really won't be such a huge transition.

The Conquer the Couch Potato Challenge has been a bit of a struggle for me. It's not that I don't want to do it....I just don't think of it while I'm absent-mindedly letting advertisers brainwash me to buy their new products. Man, it's so frustrating to have to tell you that I haven't consciously gotten up to move around one single time during a commercial break in the last week. I suck! And I would like to invite anyone who reads this blog to text or email me throughout the evenings of this month to remind me to get off my butt and move around if there's a commercial on. I figure if I'm watching an hour long TV show, that's an extra 20 minutes of movement I can get in for the day. If only I can remember to do it!

As I'm doing my walks, I'm realizing that I really need to get a pedometer. I would love to be able to gauge how much distance I'm walking and how I'm improving over time. I have a little cheap pedometer that came free with the purchase of a Nintendo DS game I bought awhile back. This pedometer only counts steps, though. It doesn't tell distance or calories burned or anything like that.

Can anyone recommend a good pedometer for me? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I would like to be able to see the steps I've walked for the day, along with the distance I've walked, and possibly the calories I've burned as well.

For my actual exercise walks, I'm thinking about downloading an iPhone app to monitor my distance and speed. I found one that looks pretty good called iTreadmill. Does anyone else with a Smart phone have an app for that?

I'd love to hear any recommendations or suggestions! How's everyone else's exercise regimen going?

Also a few quick notes on commenting:
  1. If you leave a comment on the blog and you want to see what other people say in response to your comment, there is a little button at the bottom of the comments section that says "Subscribe by Email." If you click that and enter your email address, my blog will send you an email every time someone comments on that particular post. You can also do that if you're just generally interested in the topic for that day and you want to hear what others are saying.
  2. If you do not want to leave a comment as "Anonymous," you can go to "Select Profile" then "Name/URL" and type in your name. Let me know if you have any questions. I understand it's kind of goofy.
And one more thing I have miserably failed to mention on here: my boyfriend is also doing a daily blog for every day of his 27th year
(I unashamedly ripped off his idea). I'd love if you would check it out,
and leave a comment or two letting him know you stopped by.
www.AdamGodfrey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment