Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 44: from Decatur to Bloomington


I am loving this walking challenge we're doing, folks! So far in the month of April I've walked 102,604 steps, which loosely translates into about 51.3 miles! I have walked the length of Decatur to Bloomington!

This is a great accomplishment for me as I thought getting in 10,000 steps a day would be quite a feat. As it turns out, getting those steps in can be difficult, and there are some days where I haven't made it there, but it hasn't been quite as cumbersome as I thought it would be. I've enjoyed it more than I normally enjoy exercising, and I think it's due to the fact that I have a goal in mind that I'm working toward. Plus this weather has been so nice, and all the foliage is springing up, and it just makes you feel like life is perfect....

Is anyone else interested in training for a 5K walk, along with my mom and I? Remember, a 5K is 3.1 miles. At Weight Watchers this week they distributed information as to how to train yourself to walk a 5K. Even if you haven't been doing any walking at all, this training program is pretty simple. With the plan, you don't focus so much on distance as you do time endurance. You want to walk at a brisk pace for the amount of time indicated for each day.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Week 1

10 min

10 min

rest

12 min

12 min

rest

15 min

Week 2

15 min

18 min

rest

18 min

20 min

rest

20 min

Week 3

22 min

22 min

rest

24 min

24 min

rest

26 min

Week 4

26 min

28 min

rest

28 min

30 min

rest

30 min

Week 5

35 min

35 min

rest

35 min

40 min

rest

40 min

Week 6

40 min

45 min

rest

45 min

45 min

rest

5K


Of course you can switch your rest days if you need to, and if you're already at a point where you are able to walk for longer than 10 minutes at a time, feel free to skip ahead to the middle part of the plan.

I found a walking loop in my neighborhood that is 3.72 miles (half a mile LONGER than a 5K). I would love to invite anyone who wants to come out and walk this path with me sometime in late May. I haven't decided on a date just yet, but I figure that will give everyone enough time to train to be able to walk that distance. We'll meet at my house, do our walk, and then come back to my place for a healthy lunch. The walk will probably take an hour or so, so I figure if we meet at my house around 10:30 we'll be back at the perfect time for lunch. If you're interested, please let me know so I can know how many people to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment