Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 43: Restaurant Round Table

Eating out is a normal part of life for most people. And with restaurant portions continually expanding along with our ever-growing waistlines, how do we avoid meals like this picture, and instead opt for healthier alternatives from the menu. Or perhaps even healthier alternatives that aren't on the menu.

I experienced this the other night when I was at Red Lobster. I thought I was ordering a reasonably healthy meal when I told the waitress I wanted blackened tilapia with New Orleans style cajun shrimp with a side of Asparagus and a house salad. After I ordered I felt pretty proud of myself for not getting my typical fried shrimp platter, and I gave myself a little pat on the back.

But when my food came the entire plate was swimming in butter! And my "New Orleans Style" shrimp was covered in a creamy sauce. I'm starting to learn that I'm going to have to specify exactly how I want my food prepared if I'm wanting to eat healthy at restaurants. I should have ordered my asparagus steamed, and emphasized that I did not want it prepared with butter. And I should have found out exactly what was meant by the term "New Orleans Style." Then I would have known to order it without the sauce.

So I wanted to start a discussion today about this topic. Please answer any or all of the following questions in the comments section below:

- How do you make healthier choices at restaurants?
- Do you find it difficult to eat healthy when you have a smorgasbord of fried, fatty foods that are so tempting?
- What are some of your favorite healthy hot spots when it comes to dining out?

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say! If you want to receive follow-up comments on this post, go down to the comment box and below it you will find a link that says "Subscribe by Email" If you click that link, any contributions to this discussion will be sent directly to your email so you don't have to keep checking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment