Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 130: Blessed by the Generosity of Others

Today was a wonderful day.

Before I explain why, you need to know a few things:

1. Adam lives about 90 miles away from me in a very rural area.
2. He goes to a lovely rural church called Salem.
3. Adam and I very rarely spend weekends together because our schedules are opposite.
4. Because of this, I have only attended his church with him one time on a Sunday.

This is why my day was wonderful:

The ladies of Adam's church got together and planned a bridal shower for me. They don't know me. A few of them have met me a few times, but to most of them I am a complete stranger.

They love Adam so much, and they are so filled with generosity and kindness that they decided to give me a bridal shower.

It was beautiful. There were so many people who put a lot of time, effort and money into making the party happen and I am very grateful.

The decorations were magnificent. The food was incredible. And I was given so many things that will be so helpful as we begin our life together.

More than any of that, though, I was blessed with the godliness displayed by these women. They were so friendly and caring. I felt like I was enveloped in God's love while I was sitting in that fellowship hall this afternoon, and it was a wonderful experience.

A very challenging devotion was given by Tracey, a lady I've gotten to know from my visits to the ranch where Adam works. She busted many of the myths we hear about marriage and helped to paint a picture of what 1Corinthians love actually looks like when it's played out in a marriage. I appreciated hearing that, and I think her advice and wisdom will stay with me for a long time. And that's a good thing when you're at the stage in your relationship where it's easy to get caught up in the lovey-dovey of it all and forget that there will be times when you feel like screaming at each other.

I just want to thank the ladies of Salem Church for their generosity and kindness today. It meant so much for them to give me this shower, and I can't express my gratitude enough. I hope there are a few Sundays in the future in which Adam and I will be able to come up and visit with you all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment