Thursday, December 8, 2005

Archives: Snow - Could it be that I'm Changing my Mind?

December 8, 2005 - Thursday

We got some snow today.....alright, it was pretty much a blizzard! Complete with 6 inches of fluffy white to cover the ground.

When it snowed like this last year, I remember thinking about the slick roads, the bad driving conditions, how I was trapped in the house with nothing to do, the cold wind hitting my face, scraping off my car every day (before AND after work), and all the other negative things a snowstorm entails.

But today, I must admit that I was struck by the solitude as I walked outside to brush off my car. It had been coming down for a few hours, and the roads were pretty much covered. I went out the door with my normal pessimistic mindset of scraping off the car with my hands freezing and my face turning bright red, and I still haven't figured out how to open my door without getting snow all over the driver's seat. But on my way out to the car, I noticed how quiet and still everything was outside. There were no loud cars speeding down the road, no noisy traffic, no big semis...The world was at peace and covered with a white glistening blanket that looked absolutely amazing.

Then I got to thinking....maybe a heavy snowfall is God's way of getting us to slow down a little. I don't know about other places in the country, but here in the Midwest, we are pretty accustomed to carrying off our daily tasks in any given weather (here you can use the ac and the heater in your car on the same day). Snow doesn't really stop us all that much. But even if we still go about our daily routines, we have to admit that we are nonetheless slowed down by it a little.
I know my life is always full of things to do. I have my schedule ready before I even get out of bed in the morning. Tonight, for instance, if it hadn't snowed, I am certain I would have called up the girls to see if they wanted to go to the mall or go out to dinner or something...it's just who I am. I like to be busy. That's why right now, I am watching TV, on the computer, and working on a scrapbook all at the same time. I think I have imposed a case of ADD on myself. Seriously, I cannot focus enough to get anything done in one sitting. But, with the snowfall tonight, instead of going out for a night on the town, I sat at home with my parents...we ate dinner together, watched some TV, my dad made me hot chocolate....and I would have missed out on that if it hadn't snowed.

Maybe I'll change my mind about the snow. Instead of seeing all the problems it causes me, which, if you think about them, aren't that bad, maybe I will think about slowing my life down, staying in and spending time with my family. I don't do that nearly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment